Happenings of my daily life....as a mother, business owner, and stay at home mom!

May 13, 2014

It's been quiet on the Blog...{Frosting Recipe}

It's been quiet on my blog last week. But it hasn't been quiet at my house!

I've been SUPER busy getting stuff together for PD's graduation! So proud of this guy who graduated with his Master of Divinity Degree on Saturday, May 10th. It was a long road! He started working on this degree the year after he graduated from college (the year we got married....we will have been married for 10 years come June)!

This is the best shot I got (I forgot my good camera)...oops!
During this time he has worked full time and traveled one hour and 15 minutes one way to get to seminary (sometimes as much as 3 times a week). We have had 4 kids in this time and also built a house (most of the house was built by him during the time of going to school and transitioning from the associate pastor to lead pastor). We moved into our house 2 weeks after our third (Kendra) was born (about the time I stopped posting on the blog....now you know why I took a break from blogging). All during that time PD was taking classes. I'm so proud of his hard work and accomplishment!

His parents came down on Thursday to help us celebrate and we had a graduation party at our home for all our friends and some family on Saturday. The weeks leading up to this have been busy painting and getting small projects done (many people in our church haven't seen our house yet....).

I share all that to tell you that my mother-in-law makes some of the best frosting I have ever had and has shared the recipe with me and I'm going to share it with you all! Hopefully she won't mind. I don't think it's a family secret recipe....if not....leave it to the daughter-in-law to spill the beans! ;)

Decorating Frosting:
1 pound powdered sugar
1 cup shortening (or 3/4 cup shortening and 1/4 cub butter or margerine)
1/4 cup milk (or 1/4 water)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Beat it like crazy in a mixer (we are talking like 10 minutes)!

Enjoy!

Here's a picture of the cakes my mother-in-law made for PD's graduation party!

Didn't my mother-in-law do a great job!! Also a side note: She used almond extract in the white frosting and vanilla extract in the chocolate frosting.


The graduation hats are made out of mini rolos and mini reeses peanut butter cups and a crunch bar



If you're wondering what that odd writing at the bottom, it's Greek for "it is finished" :)


Oh and if you're looking for a homemade cake recipe....look someplace else, we haven't found one we like any better than a good Duncan Hines cake mix. :) And bonus....the cake mixes were on sale for 99 cents this week! :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails